In 1989 the municipality of Irapuato opens the doors of the Museum of the City as part of their cultural development. It has a beautiful XVIII century building in baroque style, located in the old corner Street Station (now 5 de Febrero street) and Amargura street (now Allende street), its first owner was the Bachelor Theology Leandro Barreto de Tabora, who belonged from 1776 to 1796.
The wide variety of objects of the acquis are mainly donations for the generous cooperation of the public irapuatense, which together form a variety of themes utilized as educational and recreation of all visitors.
18 years after the opening of the Museum of the City of Irapuato, has contributed to the permanence and appreciation of cultural heritage custody as well as strengthening irapuatense identity, being an institution focused on cultural, leisure and living.
In their showrooms shown Archaeology collections, Boards of Roberto Montenegro y Nervo, murals “Molluscum Macadam” and “abstract form” of the Masters Salvador Almaraz and Hugo Almaraz, Miniature Dioramas of Mrs. Guadalupe Ortiz Carrasco ” piti “XIX century carriages, Altarpiece and artwork on the Virgen de la Soledad, photographs of the winners of the” Vasco de Quiroga; gun collections “Abraham de Ia Vega Manzo”, military uniforms and various ancient objects like coins , notes, surgical equipment, scales, among others.
It also presents temporary exhibitions of art and history, as well as lectures and presentations of dance, theater and music events. The City´s Museum represents a space in the historic center where you can enjoy a nice quiet environment, culture and recreation in Irapuato.